Sunday, May 1, 2011

Chimp flap in California

Marilyn Davenport of Fullerton, Calif., must have been shocked to learn that her comparison of a black man to a chimpanzee is considered racist.

I joke with African-American friends about racial differences to the point that it gets silly. One friend at work was offended that I passed up a chocolate bar, and I responded that my doctor warned that chocolate was bad for me. I think I know where to draw the line. I would not distribute an e-mail that superimposes President Obama’s face on the figure of a chimp accompanied by the words: “Now you know why - No birth certificate.”

Perhaps they think differently in Orange County. Try this explanation on for size. According to The Los Angeles Times, Davenport wrote these words for members of the central committee of the Orange County Republican Party:

“I’m sorry if my e-mail offended anyone. I simply found it amusing regarding the character of Obama and all the questions surrounding his origin of birth. In no way did I even consider the fact he’s half black when I sent out the e-mail. In fact, the thought never entered my mind until one or two other people tried to make this about race.

“We all know a double standard applies regarding this president. I received plenty of e-mails about George Bush that I didn’t particularly like, yet there was no ’cry’ in the media about them.”

Comparing African-Americans with chimps, monkeys and what have you has long been a common racial slur.

County Republican Chairman Scott Baugh called on her to resign, stating in an e-mail to her that her message is “dripping with racism and is in very poor taste.”

“I looked at it, my jaw dropped,” sid Michael Schroeder of Orange County, who formerly chaired the California Republican Party.

Schroeder told The Orange County Register she “doesn’t represent the party - but how we respond to it does.”

We can wonder what really moves Baugh and Schroeder to condemn her. There has been bad blood between Davenport and Baugh, and the GOP has long taken positions harmful to vulnerable people of all races and religions. They are probably also concerned about the party’s image.

Baugh and Schroeder still did the right thing, and their response merits our appreciation.

Committee member Tim Whitacre called Davenport’s e-mail “motivational, fun” having no ties to Republican affairs. Maybe so, but now we know their personal attitudes toward African-Americans as a group, which adds to our distrust of Republicans.

Davenport dubbed the leak of her e-mail “cowardly” and wrote, “Anyone brave enough to come forward?”

If Davenport did nothing wrong, why is she so worried about leaks?

Top honors for bizarre statements must go to Deborah Pauly, first vice president of the county GOP, who told the Register: “It’s an ethical violation to embarrass the Republican Party. If you’re going to address ethics violations, you need to look at all the people who have brought dishonor to the Republican Party.”

There are sure plenty of governors and members of Congress who are competing “to embarrass the Republican Party.”

No comments:

Post a Comment